Friday, February 29, 2008

monkeying around


Not at all religious, but this photograph makes me want to pack a toothbrush, a clean pair of knickers, withdraw my life savings (all $13) and run away to become a monk. This is the Meteora Monastry, built in the 11th century in Thessaly, Greece. The best thing about it, is that until 1920, the only access was via winches and ropes!!

I've always inexplicably loved the sound of monks singing. Gregorian chanting does something- that I don't have any words for- to me. It's the sound of one of those golden sunsets, streaming ethereal rays. The feeling that maybe life does care, and my insignificance is incredible, instead of just lonely.

As a child, I romanticized the lives of lighthouse keepers. And oddly, nuns. Stark dedication, isolation, mystery.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tui, try Texas. It's so big, you can find as many isolated places as you want.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tui,

I don't know about Texas, but there are spots that are pretty desolate there. I do think that there is something romantic about being the bride to Christ and totally away from the world or sitting in a lighthouse all alone.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home