Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Stamp your foot and other things


For some reason blogger is all fucky and going s o s l o w l y
But here i am, suffering, all because of my love of inky things, in particular, inky-stampy things.
So look! These rubber stamps are just beautiful. The way all stamps should be.





Rubber was discovered in the Amazon River Basin by a French explorer in 1736. Three decades later the idea of using small cubes of it to erase pencil marks was hatched, but as rubber was still a novelty- expensive and hard to come by, most people kept using bread crumbs for that task, just as they always had.


The problem at that time, was that rubber would quickly turn goop if the temperature rose. Luckily, an eccentric inventor named Charles Goodyear became obsessed with the dilemma. He quit his hardware business and stormed his wife's kitchen, turning it into a makeshift lab for his wild rubber experiments. Poor Charles lost precious moments however, when his unpaid debts and recurring bankruptcy led to sporadic imprisonment. At one point, Charles sold his children's school books to pay for his next experiment. Fortunately, a clumsy moment in the kitchen led to a major revelation, when he accidentally spilled some rubber mixed with sulphur on his wife's hot stove. Voila! It maintained it properties, and the next day, was still flexible.
Charles had done it.


It was 1860 and the Civil War saw rubber stamps come into everyday use, an efficient way to authorize all those piles of important papers quickly. Slowly stamps became incorporated into the art world, first by the Russian futurists and then by the German Dadaists. In the 60s-70s stamps had their pop-culture heyday, becoming the old-fashioned equivalent to Game Boy.




Do you have a favourite? Do you care at all?

7 Comments:

Blogger Mary deB said...

I really like the stripy legs! And the keys!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tui,

I like all of them. I have a bat one at home and one of Snoopy writing on his doghouse. Not terribly original, Iknow, but fun.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Victoria said...

What a great find, Tui! My favorite is the crown set... I also really like the sheet with all of the faces on it; each face is so different and so beautiful.

Out of all the rubber stamps that I've ever seen or used, I've never came across stamps like these before. The variety and the detail in each one is really great! All of them are so individual and imaginative, and most of them are eclectic (in a very good way).

I love reading your words no matter what you write about, and I'm glad that you're doing well :)

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Least favorite: The poor dragonfly getting humped by some dork that looks like the guy that yelled at me and my friend for setting fire to a fence one day. He was right though, it was a bad idea...

Favorite: The Monster!

You could write books, Tui.. You could write children's books or documentary books.

You know about lulu.com?
-cs

5:20 PM  
Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Hey Tui,
Cool. I like the women's profiles at top best but they're all interesting.

Before rubber, bread crumbs for erasure, eh? Strange form of friction, but must've worked.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

I liked the second. I guess my least favorite is the last and I can't tell you why--it just didn't strike me. That was some interesting stuff about rubber. And I know how the blog thing can be difficult.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like them all! i like reading your work. you are a great writer and a great history teacher. you have many talents. dont let opiates drag you down. glad to hear you are winning the battle. im winning my battle too. im on bupe. its good for me and ive been normal for going on 2 years. keep it up. ps will you marry me. j/k stay the way you are.

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home