Sunday, March 23, 2008

Bambino


I have a meeting at the A&D clinic every week, and every week I drive past the SPCA on the way there, and past again, on the way home. Last week, I thought, well, I'll JUST look. There's no harm in looking. Ha! Right.

I signed myself into the cramped kitten cage, trying not to step on any of the frolicking little bodies. I'd seen the kitten I wanted instantly. Black with white bits and pieces, a sweet little face, huddled by herself, as if lonely. It took me awhile to reach her. A pushy little tabby half her size had pounced on me and was in my arms with his face upturned towards mine, eyelashes batting before I managed to shut the mesh door behind me.

The next day I turned up at the SPCA with a cat-sized cardboard box, carefully lined with a snuggly old sweater and a back pocket full of folded twenties. Kittens aren't cheap. Unfortunately, my cardboard box caused a frown. I had to buy the SPCA logo cardboard box for an extra ten bucks. Great. There were four ladies of varying sizes behind the desk. What they all had in common was they diligently ignored me, until I began sighing loudly and shifting foot to foot. There were a lot of things to sign. The ladies kept transferring me to each other while they'd disapear then reappear and I'd be handed back until no one knew what the hell I'd paid for, who I was or what I wanted.

Finally, the kitten. Handed to me in the approved cardboard box, I could hear him crying. I put my eye to the box and peeked in. The tabby little face widened its eyes when it saw me.

As soon as I reached my car, he was out of his box and on my lap. EXTREMELY illegal, the SPCA women had warned me. I didn't care, he wasn't crying. The kitten perched there, paws on the staring wheel with a smug expression on his face until we reached the supermarket. In typical disorganised fashion I still needed to buy him food and litter. Even with the windows cracked it would be sticky hot in the car. I took the bandana from around my neck and wrapped him tight, like moses in his swaddling get-up. Only a little whiskered face peeped out. Together, the teeny baby bundle and I went shopping.

At home, in bed, he crawled up my body to cuddle at my throat, his little face an inch from mine he very softly extended one paw and began to gently stroke the side of my face, while gazing into my eyes. Yes it was cute, but also very slightly creepy.

That was when he was still reveling in freedom from orphanhood. And thus, I guess, on best-behaviour. I think he's forgotten all about the hell that is the SPCA already. Biting my toes (hard!!), tearing up important anything, climbing up my body to my shoulders where he digs his claws in tight. He's realised how goddam cute he is, and now he's in charge.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He has beautiful markings.--Katmandu

9:01 AM  
Blogger sickgirl said...

I AM SUCH A BLOODY SUCKER FOR THOSE GOSH DARNED FLUFFY LITTLE CRITTERS!!!

To the extent that we now have six cats residing with us - this on top of the two adults and two children, although those children are now adult sized and one just celebrated her eighteenth birthday this past weekend - not mine, although hers is next month. Whew, very full and at times, chaotic household, but at least, never a dull moment!

I could go on all afternoon about my cats and kids but I won't bore you to death, especially as I'm not even polite enough to use my own journal to do that.

Just wanted to pop over to say hello to you as it has been a rather long time since I've done that. My bad...

I am sure that you will have great fun with your new little friend. He looks so cute and cuddly.

Peace, love and happiness,

sickgirl

3:55 PM  
Blogger Quasi said...

What a little sweetheart! Although I'm glad my human lets me be an only cat. I don't like to share. I’d like to tell you that I’ve written a scathingly funny book, The World Is Your Litter Box, which will be out May 6th. The book is cleverly disguised as a cute cat book so humans will buy it, but is, in fact, a how-to manual FOR cats. Check it out on my website, www.theworldisyourlitterbox.com.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tui,

He is cute! That's why I avoid animals -- terrified of responsibility and think they may break my heart. That's what men are for, right? Ha! Hope you're having a great Easter.

8:37 PM  
Blogger KEL said...

What a cutie... I swear my dogs get more than some children I am totally hoodwinked. Is that a great word or what, hoodwinked, hehehe.
KEL

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kittens are hilarious. I love them and crave them often. When I stayed with an old boyfriend on Agricola, his roommate was Robin. Her kitten, Novi, woke me up one day.

He was sucking on my nipple.

10:30 PM  
Blogger tui said...

heh! cute.
lovely to hear from you claudette
:)

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful baby!!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home