Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Just beachy


So, a bit about me and my exciting life.

I was on my way home this evening, heading for the warm glow of a parents' living room, when I passed a long stretch of autumn beach. It was twilight, the sunset was long melted away, but the sand still radiated heat. Abandoned sand castles dotted the high-tide mark, haunted houses now, crumbling away. I rolled up my jeans and dug my bare feet into the sand. There were all the scuffles and squeaks of night noises in the dunes. Shadows stretched longer out to eat the the beach as I walked. I could see shapes of other beachcombers but their faces were masked with dark, too anonymous to need a hello-isn't-it-a-lovely-evening. Yes, anti-social me likes that. The velvety dusk was like an invisible cape swinging around my shoulders. And I didn't even step on an errant dog poo.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

That sounds so relaxing and peaceful. Can't wait until the warm weather finally shows up in this part of the world.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have trouble with "errant" dog poo. It smacks of the pathetic fallacy. I think dog poo should be left alone.--Cleanth Brooks

10:44 AM  
Blogger Victoria said...

What a nice little mini-vacation from life & all your worries :)
Water soothes like nothing else...

12:20 PM  
Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tui,

A walk on the beach does sound great about now -- all we have here are gray skies and snow. It's totally bleak. Beautiful shot of the sand castle!

6:21 PM  
Blogger tui said...

Anon, the dog poos were scuttling all over the beach actually, almost tripping me up. I think they should leave ME alone.

Other commenters, I'd rather be in your shoes, with summer, rather than winter just around the corner. Anticipation is the best and worst part of the seasons, I think.

Thanks for all your comments always!

t

3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home