Friday, June 02, 2006

Toxivision

I grew up without a TV. When we finally got one I was allowed to watch one hour of TV a week. This was always a toss up between Murder She Wrote and MacGyver. I have always loved mysteries, especially murder mysteries. With such a limited amount of viewing time, I never got the TV fads that hit the schoolyard, there were so many conversations I just couldn't join. As much as I tried to steer the talk to Jessica Fletcher, there were many times I remember nodding and saying "yeah, me too" to things I had no idea about. Now, for the first time in my life I turn on the TV and just watch whatever comes on. And god it's painful.

Canadian TV really fucking sucks. They repeat the same show or movie about three times a month, no exaggeration. So we re-watch and re-watch the same pathetic crap. Fortunately I usually nod out during each program, so I can just pick up where I left off. The good nights there are 3 or 4 episodes of Law and Order. The news is some bizarre 80s flashback, the hosts are cheesey and grating. Who styles this shit? How can they be this out of touch with pop-culture? NZ late news has cynical, smart hosts who rip apart politicians and have a modern view of life. Canadian media is really a sad state of affairs.

Canadian movies and TV shows are in a league of their own. You can spot them a mile away, the atrocious acting, the overly p.c. plot lines, the desperate imitation of American style TV. It's odd. I feel like screaming JUST BE YOURSELVES! Find your own style. Be brave. This bothers me working in advertising too. Every shot needs a black hugging an asian hugging a red-head holding hands with a brunette woman and a blond man in a wheel chair. All with huge toothy smiles. It makes me puke.

My boyfriend moves out in 20 day with his TV. Then I'll be back to listening to the book. Or maybe one hour of TV a week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary Blackchurch said...

True channel 6 or the CBC has odd ^ repetitive programming..not my cup of tea either. There are some cable Canadian shows like "The Trailer Park Boys".."Kink" "SCTV,' and the like that are excellent. For the most part Tui you're right..Canadian content sucks..and any good writng gets cut after one season or less. Not sure why...but that phenomenon has been going on forever. That most of our movie talent heads south the the US may be one reason. If you think about it most of the good US shows have at least one Canadian actor in them. Even 'Lost' does.

The only CBC show I recall really likeing was a show called "North of Sixty,' it ran for 4 seasons I think.

The states may have 10% lame shows going on to our 90%..bummer without cable is all I have to say. There's always DVD's I guess.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so funny being American and readign this, I always feel like we are the center ofthe TV world. Though the BBC puts most american TV to shame. Anyway Murder She Wrote and MacGyver are both very intereting uncool shows. I am addicted to HBO. All Sopranos, Deadwood, Entourage, and Big Love. I hope you are well.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home