Friday, June 23, 2006

I'm back

Sitting on my semi-stoop, in the rain. Locked out, laden with bags. Six o'clock, seven, eight. I went to an internet café. Ten o'clock, eleven. Eleven thirty he turned up. Angry with me."Why didn't you just climb on to the balcony and break in." Not strong enough. "Why didn't you call the landlord?" No number. "Why didn't you go to his house?" I don't know where he lives.

Strangely I didn't care. I had had an adventure without him. An ex-dealer had wandered past while I'd been waiting. On his way to score. He had new connections. Better than mine, nicer, fairer. Way stronger smack. I paid him 70 bucks for the number. It sounds crazy, but it's better than going through him twice a day and having everything I buy cut with random pills and taxed.
He's stopped by and hung out a few days since. We talk about writing and books. He thrills me with stories of jail, his rich parents, the people he knows who've been murdered. He's a doorway into a strange world.

I was in a cab the other day, and suddenly the traffic stopped. A thundering grew steadily louder. From the top of the hill, heading straight for us, were hundreds and hundreds of skateboarders. It was amazing. Some people were honking their horns or yelling, angry eyes. My cab driver laughed. When I got out I tipped him five bucks.

3 Comments:

Blogger tui said...

Sorry for worrying some of you. I have just had an insanely busy week, out of the office on a photo shoot. No internet access at all.
T

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've spent the last hour flying through your blog. I read every word, every thought. I lived in a foreign world spoken through your keystrokes. I feel lucky for what I have. I want to hold you. I want to love you.

4:10 PM  
Blogger tui said...

A beautiful comment. Thank you.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home