Sunday, November 12, 2006

Lolita-time







It's been described as "French Maid meets Alice in Wonderland."

The Lolita fad is big, really big. From Tokyo, where it first began, to smatterings of bonnets in Helinski. You can see the European 14 year olds in the second & third photos down. I love it. These girls are so young but so tough. They take fashion seriously, rebels in frills. Extreme sweetness to confuse parents and tie rules in knots. The Lolita look even has sub groups, the Gothic Lolita, Country Lolita, Sweet Lolita... and more I'm sure. I don't know the subtleties, but there are rules to follow, outlined in The Gothic and Lolita Bible.

It's inspired by Victorian clothing and mixed with Japan's unique cutesy aesthetic. Sweet Lolita is all pastels and ribbons, innocent and girlish. Gothic Lolita is completely black and white, sometimes a smidge of red. It's not Goth as in angst teens with acne and Marilyn Manson posters. Gothic to the Japanese means elegant. Lolita means childlike.

I'm curious who they date. What is the male Lolita like? If there even is one.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nabokov knows what it means.

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tui,
This is shaun. I am sorry i stopped writing i got too wrapped up in you. I see a friend in you that died on me. I am scared you will do the same.

I hope and pray you are going to ge there.

Love,

shaun

10:26 PM  
Blogger tui said...

Hi Shaun, it's nice to hear from you. I'm glad you're okay-
t

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harajuku Girls. Particularly big in Osaka Japan. The inspiration for Gwen Stefani song of the same name. Also responsilbe for the look in a couple of her videos from "Love. Angel. Music. Baby"
Tui. I've been following your blog for awhile now, and from what I've read I think you are reaching a point where you have to take a chance. Reach out and get help before you sink further into the mire. Call your whanau. Come home. Kia Kaha!

4:16 AM  
Blogger tui said...

I'll be in Aotearoa for January. I know the sea will fill in some of my emptiness. But I'm afraid my parents will look into my eyes and realize. I'm worried I won't be able to speak without crying. I'm scared I won't want to leave the south pacific again.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy Loli? Mate, that's Boystyle Lolita! There is style like Kodona, aristocrat and many more. Sorry my bad english TT^TT

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home