Monday, April 24, 2006

Whoosh



Lethal injection? Steam roller? Drowning in the bath? Falling from your balcony? Spontaneous combustion? Heroin overdose? Heart attack in your sleep? Interrupting a burglary? Giving birth? There are many ways to die, and you can only do it once. It's your final experience. The widest your eyes are ever going to open. It's probably going to be amazing, and you won't even be able to tell anyone about it. Me, I know how I want to die. I don't have any doubt. Even as a kid I had pictures of Atlantis on my bedroom walls, the city folk staring upwards at the waves 50 storeys high about to cover them up for ever. In the bible, the bit I liked was the red sea crossing, the wall of sea, being able to see the creatures as if you're strolling through an aquarium while the sea closes in furiously behind you. It's not that I want to die, I just want to experience that moment, the stillness, the rush of water, pure and clean. Looking up at the most powerful, beautiful wave curled and frothy, just about to break.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've dreamt about drowning (various ridiculous scenarios including a tsunami hitting Melbourne... highly unlikely, but that's dreams for you!) I also got dumped badly by a wave, once, years ago... obviously I survived, but it shook me badly.

Definitely not fun, the whole drowning thing. It takes too long, and the moment before the wave swept down... man, I'd be running. Running for my life.

Better to go at the tip of a needle - bliss then fade to black.

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home