Monday, January 11, 2010

T is for time-killer, V is for very


Hi, my name is Tui. And I watch too much TV.

There, I said it. More skin-crawling, hide your face, deny deny deny, than herpes. Well almost. It's up there. Something no one wants to admit. Hey life, show my dumb brain anything and I'll get addicted to it. It's easy. Here I am, fuck me over. I love it. Must love it.

Cartoons, reality shite, talk shows, docos (look how highbrow I am!), static.

The line up tonight: King of the Hill, Family Guide, The Mentalist, Dexter. And I'm excited. Bleh.

It's my boyfriend's fault. Blame him.

Since he moved in the telly is always on, constant background noise, while I read, crossword, write, do the internets, eat, even sleep. It's on.

I have a lot of catching up to do. Being one of those two-headed freaks who grew up without a telly. All those kiddy conversations and pop-culture references left me quiet, and outside. Maybe it was like that for you too, as a kid, having to be a little clone, or be dead weird. My parents always made sure I was the weird one. The vegetarian, with sprouts in her lunchbox. No lollies allowed. No fizzy drink, yep I was 9 before I tried coca cola. The only kid not allowed to go to the boy-girl parties. I had to wrangle, weasle, whinge and manipulate hard to go to school dances. My dad was suspicious, and bored, and controlling. Pop music was banned because of the lyrics. My purity was his project. And somehow, i systematically became as unpure as possible. And weirder than ever. Yee ha.

And now, please excuse me, the ads are over.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Tui,

Television is oddly comforting for reasons I can't quite fathom. (Love Californication, Hung, Celebrity Rehab, miss The Sopranos, Six Feet Under). My parents let me watch anything I wanted and pretty much do a lot (no purity project there!) and who knows how it all went -- some good, some bad, and I got to see The Omen when I was twelve. So it's not all a loss :)

5:12 PM  
Blogger Erik Donald France said...

Funny, that. My Mom, bless her heart, allowed TV as an indirect babysitter, so I saw a lot as a kid. On the other hand, was just at a wedding wherein the groom and his mother prided themselves on no TV, or very little ever. Whatever works. My Aunt Sue always kept hers on as white noise to keep out the abyss.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

tv? hell now you're talkin. Can't stomach that reality shwagg though. There's some good stuff there if ya poke around.I'm a pro so here's a list to getcha started.Amc's Madmen and Breaking Bad. HBO's Big Love. Lost was epic and still has one season left.Son's of Anarchy(not bad).Stargate Atlantis is pretty good.Every episode of Seinfeld is good for a few viewings.Ideal is funny.
Very sorry about you're friends. You do know the song "people who died" right? If not be sure to check it out.
Lotsa Love,
Paul

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you were a male I would say I found my soul mate. I'm reading Breakfast of Champions right now, I was going to read Slaughterhouse five but, didn't think I'd like it. Do you like William S. Burroughs? Have you Read Junky by Burroughs?
So glad I found you blog. Very interesting. I have to go read your back story, all of your blog posts.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home