Thursday, January 25, 2007

Lasts

Last swim. Rocks slippery and round beneath my feet. Underwater, my favourite spot, sliding through silky pressure, silent. Worryfree dreamscape. Up for air, the tingle of salt on my cheeks, wind in my hair. I love that moment, coming up, bursting through the surface. Sometimes I wish I could disappear inside that crisp layer between air and sea- like the split second seperating then and now. Over before it can exist. As much as I love the first salty gulp of air, as if a screaming newborn, I prefer a thousandfold the quiet depths, the underwater world way below the waves, where only the tide breathes in and out.

Last drive, a heavy load of goodbyes to distribute. Indicate and turn, roaring up the Best Friend's House Valley Road, quietly familiar, so far from the backseat of the dealer's car. Foot like lead on the accelerator. Things have been set in motion. Life moves on, has moved on... I was untouchable here. Even death was a curiousity, between ads on telly. Growing up brilliantly naive and confident. Confident I was strong enough for anything. Yeah mate, anything.

Last walk, up the hill. Walking as slowly as possible.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle's Spell said...

Tui,

I love the beautiful, haunting quality of this post and the last one.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a thought, Tui - ever thought about ibogaine?

1:45 PM  
Blogger [] said...

To be able to slow everything down would be so nice.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home